Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New Scissors, New Fob












My sweet sister gave me a gift certificate to the LNS for my birthday. I've had it a while and was waiting to use it for some really, really nice Hardanger scissors. They said they had some nice ones coming in early August and, sho'nuff, they did!

Anyone who's read this blog knows I love my Dovos and these are no exception. Their finely honed tip snips right down to the point making cutting the holes in the fabric a breeze. Stitchin' buddy DP doesn't understand how I can take scissors to something I just worked so hard on, but I don't think she gets Hardanger. Or, perhaps she's just afraid of making a bad cut.

New scissors calls for a new fob. The LNS had some pretty yellow 22 ct Hardanger fabric that I picked up on the same shopping trip. The pattern is my own original design, doodled from my imagination. On one side, there are clear Mill Hill Petites nestled between the Scottish stitch/Reverse Scottish stitch blocks; in real life, they look like drops of dew. Once that side was embellished, the other side was calling out for some beads, too. It began with clear AB seed bead inside the Algerian eyelets and inside the Dove's Eyes. While digging in my beads I saw some pretty bugle beads that looked like just the thing to drop next to the wrapped bars. The fob was finished off with a Swarovski AB tear drop and some Delica beads.

I'm pleased with the fob and tickled pink with the new scissors. It's good to create something. I've been in a bit of a crafting funk so this makes my soul happy, making something - actually finishing something - again.

No comments: